Friday, August 1, 2008

Just another surreal night in Riverside

The life of a mom is never easy. We do things for our kids that really should make us scratch our heads and and wonder - "What in the world am I doing?" I say this from experience my friends. As I type this blog post I'm sitting in the Borders bookstore in Riverside plaza at 10:36pm on a Friday night. I paid $9.99 to get internet access and kill 3 hours. I'm on a laptop that has a history of crashing over and over on the internet and I have no pages bookmarked and I can NEVER remember web addresses, I forgot my cf card with over 200 pictures on it so I have no pictures to edit. I can't get into my work web page to moderate comments so here I sit typing this blog post ever so slowly, hoping the time goes by faster than my typing. I'm here under these tortuous circumstances because my oldest daughter wanted to attend a book party for something called "Twilight" - the new teen book series rage (coming to a theater near you- not kidding about that by the way) It's a series about a girl who loves a vampire but he's a good vampire as opposed to a bad one? I dunno. All I know is I have a book geek for a daughter and I'm proud of that mind you - there are a LOT of worse things she could be doing with her life at the tender age of 14 and a half. Besides she needs a life and if cheering for fake charachters dressed up as real ones and getting her picture taken with them and having a debate over which guy the main girl should like and having trivia contests and talking about what they hope is in the new book and then a 12:01 AM release of the newest book, that I have to pay for by the way - if THAT'S what it takes to make me "Mom of the day" ( a year is to much pressure) and give my daughter a life, at least for the night, well then I'm all for it. At least I can make HER stand in the never ending line for marginal coffee ( I wonder - is this really Seattle's BEST?). So as I sip and ponder and type ever still so slowly chuckling to myself at the girls dressed up as their favorite charachter in the book, thanking the Lord above that my daughter is not THAT big of a geek ( no offense to anyone who actually dresses up as their favorite book charachter mind you - but c'mon seriously?), I salute you other moms that will do what it takes to give your children ample opportunity to express themselves despite the weather, the late night hours, the long drives or the less than free Wifi.
Elly won that debate by the way by stating that one guy was hotter than the other and therefore the girl should like him.... and a HUGE cheer went out from the all-girl crowd - college debate team here she comes....
Costume contest is coming up - I knew I should have worn my cape.

No comments: